chinese elm

order: rosales
family: ulmaceae
genus: ulmus
species: parviflora

small  chinese elm under training. early spring 2012.

Last year during Christmas season, there were many so-called bonsais on sale at a DIY near my house. 3 year-old plants for 3,99 eur. I allowed myself to bring home a potential chinese elm that came with a small green pot and a water retaining saucer. Since I was new to the plant species, I didn't know what to do with it at first. After a long haul research, I learned that it prefers to have a winter rest at lower temperature. I moved it from my room to the stairwell, where it spent 6 weeks of rest before coming back in.

A few weeks after its return to my study, I noticed the buds beginning to swell, from which new strong shoots later developed. But before they did, I repotted it in a new pot, double the size of the original pot, hoping that would give the plant more vigour. The plant's growth proved to be so very vigorous that I had to trim it back almost every week throughout the entire growing season. It's not until October that it first showed sign of slowing down.

In winter its foliage put on a lovely hue and there was a partial abcission as well. This year, I want to completely defoliate it during the dormancy in order to study its branch structures, so hopefully I can work better on the styling and ramification.

small  chinese elm under training. end of summer 2012.

No Comments yet.