purple allamanda

order: gentianales
family: apocynaceae
genus: allamanda
species: blanchetii

allamanda blanchetii on the last days of 2012.

Another plant in my dogbane (apocynaceae) collection, this allamanda is a non-twining climber, growing to be a shrub taller than human. New stems and leaf veins are hairy. Whorls of mostly 3 or 4 obovate leaves are arranged along the stem, which becomes greyish as it hardens with age. Like its relatives adenium, mandevilla and plumeria, its flowers are trumpet-shaped with 5 petals. The colour of my purple allamanda's flower is actually more burgundy than purple, with the throat having deeper tone.

This plant can be successfully grown indoors in a bright room, where temperature doesn't drop below 10°C. Optimum temperature during winter is around 18°C. In the room where I keep my tropical plants, the temperature stays pretty constantly in the range of 16-18°C throughout the coldest months. After the summer season, my allamanda plant continues to grow and even bear flowers here.

I obtained my allamanda from www.flora-toskana.de for quite a high price. However, considering that the plant came in good condition and with good, airy substrate, I think it's worth it. Its slender stems of barely half a centimetre in diameter in the bottom section will need to put on a lot more mass before they can support the growth above. This means that I will first let the new shoots grow freely with the support of bamboo canes before trimming them back.

No Comments yet.