dwarf purple rhododendron

order: ericales
family: ericaceae
genus: rhododendron
species: impeditum



First Story


7 january 2016

Fowering for the 3rd time in 2015. And that in October, way before winter.

Unbelievable! This dwarf rhodendron flowered 3 times in 2015. Either I've done something terribly wrong or absolutely brilliant... or the irregular temperature pattern has triggered it to flower first in very early spring, then a second time right before summer and again in autumn. After each flush of flowers, new shoots followed. At first I thought these flower buds were for next spring, but hey, there they opened already in October, way before winter. Am I complaining? Absolutely not. It's just that, previously it only flowered once a year. I just want to know what triggered it to grow so aggressively. Was it my new biweekly half-strength feeding regime? Very probable. I disregarded the twice-a-year-only feeding instruction given by professionals and went ahead to treat it just like any other plant I have. I'm actually very pleased with the sight of the purplish flowers against the leathery foliage. So if I can keep it flowering as often as this, I will keep my feeding routine. At any rate, I think the plant still has enough rest over the long winter months to regenerate energy for more growth and more flower in the next growing season.



Update


25 february 2016

In flower April 2015.

I found some photos that I've taken in the spring last year. The plant was visibly more sparse than it is now due to the damage by frost the year before. I clearly took it as a winter-hardy plant. My experience tells me that this rhododendron is a lot more sensitive to freezing temperature than other rhododendron species I have. So I recommend to move it into a cold frame.

Flower close-up April 2015.

No Comments yet.