star jasmine

order: gentianales
family: apocynaceae
genus: trachelospermum
species: jasminoides

star jasmine in flower 2013.

This is another dogbane member that I acquired at the off-season sale at the end of 2012. 5 Euros was what it was worth. I quickly carried it home. It's a vigorous climber that is frost-resistant to about -5°C. It was in flower for a couple of months in the spring this year, during which the white stars filled the balcony with its sweet citrus-like scent. I must say that we were really happy to have planted it right next to our breakfast table.

As we went to Italy earlier this year, we got to see a huge storey-high specimen of star jasmine with trunks bigger than my wrist hugging the stone walls at the locanda where we rented a house for a week. That got me very ambitious in growing this thing into something of that size. I realise that it's going to take forever for this to happen. But since the plant is easy to grow and not as easy to kill as many other plants, I'm confident that it will one day grow that massive trunk that I admire.

It should be quite easy to propagate the plant with cuttings. I don't want to try that, unless a friend asks for it. Winter storage is a problem for me, because this thing will need some protection from cold. The only place I can offer it is our narrow stairwell, which is less than ideally lit. I need to worry about how my upstair neighbours will react to all the green plants I move into the stairwell over the winter. I hope they don't mind too much.

No Comments yet.