ginkgo // maiden tree

order: ginkgoales
family: ginkgoaceae
genus: ginkgo
species: biloba

first year growth hardened off
This is a ginkgo tree from a collected seed, which I planted directly into the soil in the winter, a few days after the new year's day 2012. I must mention that the fruit covering seed gives off one of the most unbearable odours I've ever known. The plant sprouted very late in the spring, but it grew very fast. While weeding the planting bed, I nearly took it as a weed. I had no idea that a ginkgo tree would grow that fast. On its first year it has already grown to be about 10 cm tall. Its moth-looking leaves have water-repellent property. That makes watering the plant quite enjoyable. It, however, uses the water only very sparingly. So I don't water it often.

In the autumn, following a feeding with a high-potassium fertiliser, the plant's stem became woody. Autumn foliage colour was a pale yellow. The leaves dropped as soon as they changed colour, so I didn't have a chance to capture the seasonal moment. In the winter, there's only one stem sticking out from the soil. I'm going to store it in the garden shed when temperature drops below freezing point and hope for it to come back next year.

leafless ginkgo november 2012

fallen leaves
>>Update (2013):



This year saw a vigorous growth for my ginkgo seedling. It has at least doubled in height and the number of leaves have also increased tremendously. It's crazy that the colour of the autumn leaves are a lot more vibrant with a brazen gold. The leaves are also more deeply lobed as compared to its first year. At the latest next year, this plant is going to branch out for the first time.

No Comments yet.