longan tree

order: sapindales
family: sapindaceae
genus: dimocarpus
species: longan


In late August, I organised a barbecue in our garden next to the pond and invited some friends over. Beside satay skewers, chicken wings and wraps of radish and shrimps, I also served a tropical fruit called longan. Longan means dragon eye in chinese language. The name is given to the fruit probably because of its resemblance to an eyeball with the white translucent flesh covering the dark shiny stone. In my hometown, Kuching, the fruit is called "mata kuching" in Malay language, which is translated as "cat's eye". There are theories saying that the city got its name through this fruit, because there used to be longan trees growing on the riverbanks, along which the city is laid out. Like maple, longan belongs to the soapberry family. Other more familiar members include lychee, rambutan, and horse chestnut.

After the barbecue, I saved some of the stones to start new plants with. I planted five stones in a planter, two of which struck after a week and are currently growing healthily. Two more are struggling to develop their first leaves. Acknowledging that it's a bad time to start new plants, I'm still keeping hope that the young seedlings will make it through the long winter months.


2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Didier, How did the little plants survive? I am doing pretty much the same thing. I do live in Georgia though so as long as I bring it in for those 3-4 months of freezing, I'm extremely hopeful!

Didier Ting said...

Hi Kat. Thanks for reading my blog. :) The little plants are doing fine. They are about 20 cm tall now. One is more vigorous than the other. They don't seem to need much of water. Because of the infrequent watering, they didn't get much of feeding either. I want to change the substrate in the next repotting: one that dries out more quickly between waterings, so I can water and feed them more often.

In Georgia, I think you have more sunlight throughout the winter than we do here in Germany. So you need not worry. Just place it indoor somewhere close to the window. It'll do fine. You can start feeding the plants in spring. Hope you have fun with your new seedlings! :)