ambovombensis spurge

order: malpighiales
family: euphorbiaceae
genus: euphorbia
species: ambovombensis


I'm repeating myself, I know. But let me say it again. I'm an enthusiast of spurges. When I say spurges, I refer to the genus euphorbia, not the entire euphorbiaceae family. There are a good many species in the genus making it one of the most diverse genus in the entire plantae kingdom. The members of this family can have such different looks, and yet at the same time similarity in their growth habit and characteristic.

This spurge has got white spiny trunks above the swollen base. Its leaves are crested at the edges. They are waxy green on the topside and purplish brown on the underside. Bracts are purplish and flowers are yellowish green. The dealer told me to water it no more than once a week. However I've been watering it at least twice a week and it seems to be doing just great. There are new inflorescence coming out. But no new leaves, which I'm still hoping to see.

They seem to do better in partial shade than in direct sunlight. Southeast or southwest windows are best. June til August is the only time they should receive fertiliser once each month. They almost certainly drop their leaves during winter months unless the temperature range is ideal. Minimum should be 12 °C.



No Comments yet.