dwarf mondo grass

order: asparagales
family: convallariaceae/ruscaceae
genus: ophiopogon
species: japonicus
cultivar: 'Minor'



As I was beginning my research on this dwarf mondo grass, I was surprised to learn that it belongs to the asparagus family (asparagaceae). Not that I'd be surprised by its attributes, but I just didn't give it a thought. Later I found more suggestions. Its family seems to be unclear, with possible classifications being convallariaceae, liliaceae, asparagaceae, ruscaceae, etc, etc. Someone ought to make a final decision. For the sake of this blog, I'm going to put it under convallariaceae. This grass has always been used in japanese gardens in warmer regions. One thing I still need to find out is its natural habitat. Seriously, some suggest that it should not be exposed to temperature below 10 °C and yet other claim its winterhardiness down to -18 °C.

My ophiopogon was a good bargain. A ceramic saucer full for 5 eur, whereas garden centres ask for 3 eur for one single plant in a small plastic planter.

This plant is easy to propagate by division. I may need to do this soon to make room for new growth.


>>Update:


mondo grass bearing flower buds in the spring 2013.



from the umbel of flowers of yesteryear, there is one blue berry remaining.




No Comments yet.